In this video tutorial we will demonstrate how to create a blog article on your OpenCart powered website. This is the perfect way to promote your website by boosting its ranking on search engines, interacting with customers, and running campaigns. To get started, you will need:
- The News/Blog extension, provided at no additional cost to all Digital Marketing Campaign clients.
- 15 minutes of spare time. It's really that easy!
First we will start by inserting a new article. Go to News/Blog in the menu bar, click on Add / Edit Articles, and then click on the Insert button.
On the Insert / Edit Article page you can configure the various components of your new article. First, we'll start by entering some basic information on the General tab:
- The article's heading.
- Main Story
- The article's content.
- Add a custom short description
- The blurb used on the article listing page. A blurb will be automatically generated unless one is set here.
- The main article image.
- Control whether your article is visible on the store front.
On the Seo Related tab you can configure advanced settings which affect your article's ranking on search engines. These fields are optional and should only be set by a professional:
- SEO Keyword
- The article's URL. For example, free-shipping-february will result in www.yourdomain.com/blog-section/free-shipping-february.
- Custom Page title
- The title to use for search engine results. The headline will be used unless one is set here.
- Meta Tag description
- The description to display on the search engine results page.
- Meta Tag keywords
- A comma separated list of keywords used to find this article on a search engine.
- A comma separate list of tags. A tag is used to associate articles. Users can click on a tag to discover other articles with that tag.
On the Customization tab you can control when the article will be released. In our demonstration we have set it to midnight at the end of the current month. Perfect for starting a campaign!
- Publish Date
- The date the article will be published. By default, it will be published immediately.
- Featured Image
- The image used on the article listing page. The main article image will be used unless one is set here.
On the Settings tab you can control whether visitors can leave messages, and where the article will appear. These fields are optional:
- Allow comments for this article
- Control whether users can leave comments.
- Sort Order
- The sort order used on the article listing page. By default, articles will be sorted by date.
- The category in which the article will appear.
- The store in which the article will appear.
On the Related tab you can associate other articles and products, which will be displayed at the bottom of the article. These fields are optional:
- Related Articles
- A list of related articles to display. To add an article, start typing its name and then click on it in the auto complete box.
- Related Products
- A list of related products to display. To add a product, start typing its name and then click on it in the auto complete box.
On the Youtube Videos tab you can add videos by clicking on the Add Video button and filling out the following fields:
- Youtube video URL
- The URL to the YouTube video. For example, http://www.youtube.com/embed/LLfv1_Z-S_I.
- Title (not mandatory)
- The title for the YouTube video.
- Video Dimensions (W x H)
- The width and height, in pixels, of the YouTube video.
- Sort Order
- The sort order for the YouTube video.
On the Gallery tab you can add images by clicking on the Add Image button and filling out the following fields:
- Browse for an image using the Image Manager.
- Image text
- The image's caption.
- Sort Order
- The sort order for the image.
The Layout Override tab should be left alone.
That's it! You have succesfully added a blog article to your website. If you have any enquiries then don't hesistate to contact us.